Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Kale


Kale, glorious kale!! This curly green leaf is becoming my firm friend. Since I started this raw food quest, I have consistently read about the benefits of kale, so in my journey to put health before pleasure, I started buying this broad leathery leaf and must admit I was quite sceptical at first. The leaves are tough, so I was expecting something hard to chew and very earthy tasting.


I was very surprised to find it easy to eat raw and very mild in taste. So mild in fact that it's a great base for almost anything. It does not overpower any meal and I have grown to love this little leafy green. If you slice it very fine (like you would Chinese cabbage), you can't go wrong.


(Sorry, blogspot doesn't let me copy and paste, so I've added a link instead)

My only grudge with it is that it doesn't last long once you bring it home. If you are like me and avoid shopping like the plague, that poses a bit of a problem.

Because of this, growing it at home is the best solution. So, if you have a little space and are willing to give it try - Grow Some Kale.

Please.

Do it for me.

This is my favourite kale salad from Martha Stewart. I love it. It's addictive. It's simple, and yummy.


Obviously if you are trying to be totally raw, you will leave out the cheese (I did). If not, then add the cheese and let me know what you thought.

By the way, I have no idea what Russian kale is and I certainly didn't find baby Russian kale. I just bought whatever was in stock.

I also tend to play with ingredients. For example, I love chives and have plenty in the garden, so in this recipe I just added a whole handful instead of the 6 stems required.

Play with it. Make it yours.

Enjoy.
(Photo: www.marthastewart.com)

1 comment:

  1. I've never had Kale before. It sure looks good!
    theprovidentwoman.com

    ReplyDelete